See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
1 8-ounce container plain yogurt*
1⁄3 cup finely chopped and seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons very finely chopped onions
1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound Organic Prairie Ground Beef
2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian-style parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 pita breads
3 cups finely sliced romaine lettuce
1 large Roma tomato, seeds removed & roughly chopped
1 small, sweet onion, chopped
1. In a bowl, make sauce by combining first 7 ingredients. *If using Greek-style yogurt, you may have to thin the sauce with milk if it seems too thick. Cover and refrigerate. Stir well before using.
2. In a separate bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings and mix well. Then knead the meat for a few minutes – you want a very dense texture. Form into 2 small blocks.
3. Grill, covered, over medium to high heat for 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.
4. Cut blocks into very thin slices.
5. To make sandwiches, tuck grilled beef slices into pita bread and add lettuce, tomato, and onion. Dollop with yogurt sauce.
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios