See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
10:00 am - 2:00 pm Outpost Capitol Drive
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
1 large onion, cut into inch-thick rings
1 (3-4 pound) bone-in pork shoulder/butt roast
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
16 ounces BBQ sauce, divided – try Once Upon a Grill Original BBQ Sauce – it’s new, local and organic!
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Toasted buns and coleslaw for serving
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325°. Combine black pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and mix with fingers until combined. Rub generously over all surfaces of pork.
2. Arrange onion rings in the bottom of a Dutch oven and place pork on top – the onions will keep the pork off the bottom of the pan and slowly cook down, adding flavor in the end.
3. Combine 8 ounces of the BBQ sauce with cider vinegar and pour over pork.
4. Roast until a fork inserted in thickest part of pork can be twisted easily and meat shreds off with little resistance, about 3½ hours. Once every hour, spoon liquid from bottom of pan over the roast.
5. Remove pork from the pan and set on a large cutting board or cookie sheet for shredding. Place the Dutch oven, along with all of the cooking juices, over low heat on the stove top and let simmer.
6. With forks or tongs, shred pork – be careful, it’s hot! Remove any bits of fat and the bone and return shredded meat to the pan of simmering juices. Add the rest of the BBQ sauce and stir to combine, simmering another few minutes until sauce is thick.
7. Serve on toasted buns topped with your favorite slaw.
Per serving: 356 calories, 24g fat, 8g sat fat, 10g carbohydrates, 23g protein, 547mg sodium, 1g fiber
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios