See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
1 cup quick rolled oats
2 heaping tablespoons Nutribiotic plain brown rice protein
2 heaping tablespoons flax meal
1 cup milk (dairy or plant-based)
1 12-ounce package frozen fruit, thawed, including liquid (larger fruit chunks like peaches or strawberries may be chopped to smaller size)
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract OR ½ teaspoon almond extract
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced OR
2 large bananas, peeled and chopped OR
1 apple and 1 banana
3/4 cup unbleached wheat flour
1/4 cup whole grain oat flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon naturally milled sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly oil a large
2. In a small bowl add oats, protein powder, and flax meal. Stir to blend. Add milk and thawed frozen fruit including any liquid. Mix thoroughly and set aside. Allow 20 minutes for mixture to rest.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl add egg, oil, and flavor extract. Whisk well. Add apple/banana and stir well to coat.
4. In third bowl or in top of a sifter set over a plate, add wheat flour, oat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Lightly stir to blend.
5. Add oat mixture to large bowl with egg mixture. Mix so egg mixture is evenly dispersed through oat mixture. Sift blended dry ingredients into large bowl of oat/egg mixture. Fold in until just combined taking care not to overwork the batter. It is okay if there is some non-blended “surface” flour. This is the secret to prevent sunken and overly dense muffins, no matter the recipe! Spoon into muffin tins. Place on center oven rack. Bake 25 minutes or until risen and edges of muffins are barely browned. Cool and enjoy!
Leftover muffins may be stored in refrigerator.
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios