See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
June 1 - 30 at an outside spot near YOU!
7:00 am - 9:00 pm All Outpost Store Locations
¼ cup sugar
½ cup butter, room temperature
1½ cups all-purpose flour (we made ours gluten free*)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice (4-6 lemons)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
½ cup puréed strawberries (about ¾ cup berries)
1¼ cups sugar
4 large eggs
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Homemade-style strawberry preserves
Make the crust:
1) Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch glass baking pan.
2) In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until mixture is crumbly. Pour into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for about 17 minutes, until edges are barely golden brown.
While the crust bakes, prepare the filling:
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, strawberry puree, sugar and eggs and process until smooth. Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt, mix until smooth.
2) Gently pour the filling over the hot crust when it has finished baking. Return pan to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is set (a slight crust will form on top of the custard and the edges of the crust will be browned).
3) Cool completely and spoon on a thin layer of strawberry preserves just before serving. Slice into squares using a wet knife for clean slices.
*For our gluten-free version, we used 1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
Central Offices — 3200 S. 3rd St. Milwaukee, WI 53207 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios