See what’s happening at your local co-op - Sign up for the Outpost Newsletter!
Outpost Natural Foods exists so that our owners have a healthy, diverse, and sustainable community. We will accomplish this while maintaining the long-term strength of the cooperative.
View all Events
1 pound ground Italian sausage – casings removed if necessary
1 medium onion, chopped
6 large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk or half-and-half
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 slices day-old bread, toasted and cut into cubes
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, brown sausage. Remove to bowl and set aside. Drain most of the fat from the pan.
3. Using the same pan sauté chopped onion until browned.
4. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk or cream and mustard. Then add cooked sausage, onions, toasted bread cubes, and shredded cheese and toss until combined. Season with fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste and transfer to prepared baking pan.
5. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
6. Set oven to 350 degrees (oven rack set to lowest position), cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
7. Reduce to 325 degrees uncover and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until set.
Per serving: 525 calories, 39g fat, 18g sat fat, 19g carbohydrates, 25g protein, 842mg sodium, 2g fiber
Central Offices — 205 W. Highland Ave. STE 501, Milwaukee, WI 53203 — Phone (414) 431-3377 — Fax (414) 431-4522
Milwaukee Web Design by Byte Studios