Capitol Drive Road Work
Construction work on Capitol Drive
Two major road and bridge construction projects are currently underway on Capitol Drive at N. Port Washington Road and again at N. Green Bay Road and at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. Work is expected to continue into the fall months. This means getting to your favorite Outpost location could be impacted at times, so plan ahead!
1. The Port Washington Road bridge spanning Capitol Drive is being replaced
2. The controlled intersection at N. Green Bay Road and Capitol Dr. is being resurfaced and restructured
City of Milwaukee website page
Click HERE for the latest updates, closures and planned work
Capitol Drive Traffic
Capitol Dr. is open to through traffic in both directions. The following traffic control is anticipated through late July:
- A lane of traffic moving in each direction will be maintained on the inside lanes (median side) of West Capitol Drive between North 7th Street and North Green Bay Avenue
- North Dr. Martin Luther King Drive and North Green Bay Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic at the intersection of West Capitol Drive
- The westbound ramp from North Port Washington Road to West Capitol Drive will be closed to traffic. The other entrance and exit ramps from West Capitol Drive to North Port Washington Avenue will remain open
- North Port Washington Avenue will remain closed to through traffic in both directions
- The ramp from I-43 northbound to eastbound Capitol Drive will remain closed
Northbound I-43 Traffic
Capitol Dr. East exit ramp from I-43 northbound is CLOSED
- Detour route: Exit Locust St. and travel east to Holton St. - turn left on Holton St. and travel to Capitol Dr. - turn left on Capitol Dr. - Outpost is in 3/4 mile
- Alternate route: Exit Capitol Dr. - WEST and travel back to Capitol Dr. from N. Green Bay Road - turn left at the controlled intersection - Outpost is in 1/2 mile
- Alternate route: Exit Hampton Rd. - EAST and travel south along N. Port Washington Rd. to Olive St. (Boelter Super Store/Home Depot) - turn left on Olive to Lydell St. - turn right on Lydell - Outpost is in 1/4 mile
Southbound I-43 Traffic
Capitol Dr. exit ramp from I-43 southbound will remain OPEN
UPDATE as of October 11, 2019
The contractor finished pouring the concrete bridge deck on Monday, October 7th and is preparing to pour the concrete sidewalk and roadway approaches to the bridge next week, weather permitting.
The median lanes on West Capitol Drive from North 7th to 2nd Streets were milled yesterday and the milling operations for the entire project are now complete. Over the next two weeks, work in the median lanes will consist of base patching, curb and gutter replacement, and electrical and sewer improvements. We are anticipating overnight work on October 17th-18th to pave the first layer of asphalt at the intersection of Capitol Drive and Green Bay Avenue, all ramps from West Capitol Drive to North Port Washington Road and outside lanes at North 2nd Street.